“Surrender”
March 8th, 2017
March 8th, 2017
And
just like that, Papaw was gone. The man that I had admired, followed, and
looked up to my entire life was gone. I knew it was his time and I knew how
lucky and blessed we had all been for having him as long as we did. I just kept
thinking what a disappointment I was to him and everyone else I knew. My life
as I knew it had imploded just 7 Months prior and I was not the Man I wanted or
needed to be when he passed. All I could think was that maybe God allows those
that move on before us to keep the watch until we too are called up. Either
way, the guilt, shame and feelings of worthlessness persisted even when I knew
God was working on my behalf.
Before
Papaw passed on, I had already scheduled a weekend off from work in April. Kim
and I had talked and she agreed it was time for me to make that first trip back
to Georgia. It was Dad’s Birthday Weekend too. To say I was nervous was an
understatement. I was anxious to get back, I think in part because even though
my actions brought the exile and separation from everything I knew, I didn’t
actively choose to leave it all behind and run away. At least, that’s not what
I meant to do but because of my choices, that’s what happened. I knew that
until I went back on my own, there was no way I had any shot of beginning to
heal. There were people I had spoken to, that were still rooting for me, but
there were also people that I hadn’t spoken to that I had hurt, angered,
damaged and disappointed. I knew they didn’t want to see me and I was nervous
to see some of them. I knew it was time though. I wanted Kim to meet a few
members of my family. I wanted to her to meet a few people that had stayed with
me and supported me on this ride. I wanted her to see and know what it was like
before I wound up in E-town. It was sorda like 2 world’s colliding during this
trip. Life after September 1st, 2013 meets life before September 1st,
2013.
I had
made that 400-mile ride on countless occasions over 10 years. Every time I made
that ride, I knew I’d be coming back through headed back home. I knew I-75 in
Georgia so well that I knew exactly what exits to hit for the restaurants, gas
stations and easy entrance and exits. I knew when to leave to miss Atlanta
traffic and I could time it down to the minute usually that I would be home. This
time was different. This time I was making that ride in as a visitor, as a
stranger, as someone who wasn’t sure if I’d be received or not. Crossing that
State Line in Chattanooga brought an emotion I’d never experienced. I remember
sighing deeply as we passed the Dalton exits. “Georgia State Patrol Post, Next
Right”. That blue highway sign stood out just like it was supposed to. Kim
looked over at me and asked, “you okay?” “Yeah” I replied. Inside I was
trembling. Slowly, we made our way down I-75 and into Metro Atlanta where I had
spent almost 3 years patrolling as a rookie Trooper. So many flash backs of
crashes investigated, cars stopped, pursuits, etc. As we neared Macon, I felt
my stomach churn. This was the home stretch.
When I’d left town 7 months prior, I-75 in Macon was still a
construction zone. That work was completed. Another sign of time marching
on. I-75 South to I-16 east, then the
exit on to Spring Street. I thought I was going to vomit. Not because I didn’t
want to be, “home” but because I was so afraid I wasn’t wanted back. Finally,
the right turn from GA State Route 22 on to GA State Route 49 and another 25
minutes down the road.
“Welcome to Baldwin
County. Georgia’s Lake Country.”
I was home. I was back in the
County that I had called home for most of the last 10 years. Memories flooded
back to a point that it was almost overwhelming. 4 more miles and we’d be in my
Dad and Step-Momma’s driveway. This was the meeting I probably dreaded the
most. At this point, I still didn’t fully grasp why I had made some of the
decisions I had made. I knew I was sorry. I knew I was remorseful, but I knew
that I wouldn’t be able to explain the “why?” factor. I still didn’t really
know myself. I had a lot of guilt over my relationship with my Dad and family.
Dad was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung & Brain Cancer in September of 2011
while I was still stationed in Atlanta. Within a year, Dad had gone blind from
the treatment.
The Patrol had allowed me to transfer to the
Perry post after he was diagnosed. Unfortunately, Alcohol was already running
most of my life in full force. I’d wasted most of my last 2 years in the
Milledgeville area. Instead of fully utilizing the time I had left with Dad,
I’d let it slip away. When my crash happened, it didn’t take long for that fact
to catch up to me. Walking in to see him, I hated the thought of the
disappointment I had brought to him and our family line. At the time, I was 3rd
Generation Law Enforcement. Almost every male in our family line was in active
law enforcement or had served at some point.
It was good to see Dad and Vickie. Kim
got to meet Dad & Vickie and the visit went well. As Dad and I talked, I do
remember him telling me that he forgave me for my actions and that he was proud
for me for trying to move forward in finding work and getting my own place
again. He did go further as he told me that he forgave me before I even made
those choices. I still couldn’t think of how to explain why I had done what I
had done. Nothing could explain it, and I still couldn’t process forgiving
myself. He and I shared some more that’ll stay between us but as we left Dad’s
to begin the ride home, Dad told me that he was glad we’d had a good trip but
that I needed to put that place behind me for a while. That hurt. I knew
exactly why he was telling me that and I left, knowing that he understood a
little better and more than I thought he did. He was right in his parting words
to me. Part of me didn’t want to leave, but that trip needed to happen. I’m
grateful for it today. I was able to spend some time with some folks that stayed
with me and believed in me through my journey. Those folks know who they are
but will never truly understand how much I appreciate each of them. Their
support helped carry me through when I didn’t feel like anyone believed in me
anymore. Thanks to those in Milledgeville, Warner Robins and Perry. This guy
felt a lot better at the time when I saw each of you.
A couple of short days and we
headed back north to Kentucky. I had no clue how long it would be before I would
make it back again. I knew I wouldn’t be driving anytime soon so I had no idea.
Life returned to work, home and the new version of my daily life. The
relationship between Kim and I was becoming deeper and I knew that God had
placed someone very special in my life for a reason. Even with that being said,
I couldn’t shake the nagging feeling of shame, guilt and remorse that was
ingrained into my heart, soul and memory. I just couldn’t believe that I deserved
to get better, move on, grow and most of all feel peace. I continued to drink
occasionally throughout the spring and Summer of 2014, all the while still
attending recovery meetings several times a week. I can remember sitting in a
Recovery meeting sometime during the Spring of 2014. I remember sharing how
dark I still felt and that how much I still hated decisions I had made. The
group chairman turned to me and said, “Tyler, do you believe that God has
forgiven you?’ This was an easy answer. I certainly did. I never doubted that.
It was my concern that I didn’t deserve happiness here on Earth. That I had
given away certain aspects of who I was that I couldn’t ever get back, but I
answered, “of course.” He responded quickly. “Then who are you to question God’s
standard of Forgiveness?”
Maybe that was it. Maybe it wasn’t God’s
forgiveness I was seeking. It was trying to figure out how to forgive myself
for the pattern of reckless behavior. In order to do that, I had to understand
why so many of those choices had occurred. That night though, was another step
in right direction. I left that meeting thinking about that brief exchange.
Another seed had been planted.
After that night, I knew I needed
to start to try to sober up. Nothing was changing because I wasn’t changing. The
thought process was the same because I wasn’t allowing my mind to change. I was
stuck in the same insanity filled cycle. The next couple of months brought some
tough nights though. I was torn between knowing what I needed to do and feeling
undeserving of what was possibly on the other side. I had always heard that
when an Alcoholic or Addict first gets Sober, the first thing to return is all
the Emotions. All of the dark, ugly truth that I had been trying to numb for
several years. It wasn’t long and I
began making same choices that caused Kim to see the drunk in me too. Before I
knew it, I was doing several of the same things I was doing in Georgia. I would
drink alone in the day, lie about drinking and hope she didn’t smell it or pick
up on the behavior. I got to a point where I was hiding Alcohol in my apartment
again. I shake my head when I read the sentence I just typed because it was the
exact definition of insanity. Geographical Location was making no difference in
the results of the same choices I was making. Kentucky or Georgia, it didn’t matter.
Same choices=Same Consequences. Same empty feeling of uselessness.
On the other side of the coin was
what was going on with my Momma. It is not my place today to tell Mom’s story.
Part of her story though is woven with mine. All I can say is that for over 35
years my Mother fought her own Demons. At this time in 2014, Momma was actively
drinking and was very open about doing so. I had been spending a lot of time
with her and she was always a safe place to turn to when I wanted to hear what
I “wanted” to hear at the time. This didn’t mean it was “right” thing though. I
never once have doubted that Momma loved me which is why one of the hardest
decisions I’ve ever had to make was distancing myself from those who were
choosing not to support Sobriety. I came to a point where I finally admitted to
myself that I was too weak to spend time around anyone who was actively
drinking. Problem was Momma wasn’t staying sober at all. She was choosing her
lifestyle and I was inching towards choosing a different one for me.
Kim had been patient with me but
was beginning to lose that ability and rightfully so. I was gaining 30-60 days
of Sobriety and then choosing to pick up another drink. Usually it was based on
the same old excuse of something gone wrong in life that I chose to drink over.
It was definitely not turning my will and my life over to God. That was still
just beyond my willingness. My last major drinking episode was a night in September
of 2014. I wound up at my Mother’s one night. That night in particular could’ve
been the trap door at the bottom of the hole I had already made for myself. All
I can say, is God allowed me to get through that night without harming myself
or going to jail again. If your reading this and this part of my testimony is
speaking to you, then you can probably fill in the blanks with how you can
relate to this night in my story. I woke up at about 3:00AM that next morning
at my Mothers. I was heart-broken, tired of living the same way and ready to
give up on myself in every way, just like many others had. I felt truly
powerless, cold, empty and alone.
I picked up my phone and dialed Kim’s
number. I assumed initially that she was going to be finished with me too. I wouldn’t
have blamed her. Anyone else would have. To my surprise, she answered and said
she was on her way. That night, I didn’t sleep much after that. When I got
home, I cried, I prayed, I begged God to take this weight from me. Anything had
to be better than the life I was living, the pain I was feeling and the
continual sense that I was never going to be enough. I didn’t want to hurt and
I didn’t want to hurt other people anymore. I asked God to deliver me from the
cycle or take me from this world. I knew that I couldn’t do it by myself any
longer.
The next morning, I woke up with a
resolve. A resolve that I was willing to try. A resolve that I didn’t want to
live like I had been living. That I didn’t want to try to do it on my own
anymore. I made a commitment to God that I would try to listen and for once in
my life, accept the help that had been around me for far too long. I knew I had
good things and good people in my life. I knew that God had shown me he was
running the show in multiple ways. Again, I don’t believe in coincidence anymore.
I chose to accept that God intended more for more than the condemnation I had
sentenced myself to. I chose to try to believe that God not only loved me,
forgave me for my mistakes and not only that, but that he also wasn’t finished
with me here on Earth either. I knew I didn’t want to die, I knew I just felt
like I deserved to.
Over the course of the next 4
weeks, I hit my meetings, I used my phone to call someone in the Recovery
community when I was struggling. I attempted to avoid time alone, I prayed and
I tried to avoid the triggers that I knew caused me to think about picking up
another drink. I knew it was going to take feeling the pain, dealing with the
truth and trying to keep the focus on the windshield instead of the rear-view
mirror. That was because, even though the rear view was small, there was SO
MUCH in it. Even with that, I knew God was working and had put people, places,
things and events in my life in his timing.
On October 14th, 2014, I
made that choice to pick up that drink one last time. Something triggered a
memory. The memory triggered a line and a pattern of thoughts. The thoughts
brought emotions and LIES. Instead of picking up the phone and calling someone,
I reverted back to what didn’t work. As a matter of fact, Alcohol never really
worked at all. It just put a temporary band aid on what could only heal with
the love of Christ. In addition, I noticed, that this time was different. The effect that I chased for so long was nowhere to be found. I just remember thinking, "Why am I doing this?"
Kim came home and it didn’t take
long that she picked up on what was going on. Luckily, I wasn’t absolutely
trashed. Instead of leaving, she called
my Sponsor and he was at the house within minutes. We talked, we prayed and I
asked forgiveness right there in that spot for not only that day but doubting
God at all. I asked God to guide me, lead me and direct my steps on a daily
basis and to help me somehow not look at such a picture. I asked him to help me
keep it simple and accept Sobriety and everything that came with it, one day at
a time. I finally Surrendered.....
With that said, I have been fortunate
enough to be given a daily reprieve from a seemingly hopeless state of mind,
heart and soul, one day at a time, October 15th, 2014. I am
eternally grateful for that day
Beginning with that Day, God began
spelling out so much truth to me. For me, my Testimony was and is only
beginning. The blessings that followed have been so powerful. The trials that
have followed have been tackle with a Sober mind and Body. Some days have been
easy, some have been hard, but every day has been dealt with, not on my own,
but by turning to the Lord.
Up until now, I’ve tried to spell
out, “What is was like & What happened.” I have the privilege of sharing
with you from this point forward, what it has been like, walking in Sobriety. God
was only preparing me for the Business I still had to do with him. God only
work in truth. The field had to be ready for the Truth to harvest. It was time
to handle business.
I’ll begin that in the next blog
entitled “Steps”
Today I did something
I never thought I'd do
The choice, wasn't easy
But I had to
All the years together
All those cold lonely nights
I never thought I'd be strong enough
To leave it all behind
Yeah, today I said goodbye
To an old friend of mine.
I never thought I'd do
The choice, wasn't easy
But I had to
All the years together
All those cold lonely nights
I never thought I'd be strong enough
To leave it all behind
Yeah, today I said goodbye
To an old friend of mine.
Well it won't be easy
But it's never easy
When you let down
The one you love
There's someone at home
Who needs me
So I'm givin' up
She always knew the truth
Never left my side
Man a love like that
Only comes once in a life
So today I said goodbye
To an old friend of mine
But it's never easy
When you let down
The one you love
There's someone at home
Who needs me
So I'm givin' up
She always knew the truth
Never left my side
Man a love like that
Only comes once in a life
So today I said goodbye
To an old friend of mine
My hands were shakin'
And my knees were weak
As I poured my last shot
And I drank my last drink.
And I heard freedom ring
When that bottle hit the floor
And I just walked away
Not needing any more
And my knees were weak
As I poured my last shot
And I drank my last drink.
And I heard freedom ring
When that bottle hit the floor
And I just walked away
Not needing any more
Yeah, today I said goodbye
To an old friend of mine.
To an old friend of mine.
Yeah,
today I said goodbye
To an old friend of mine.
To an old friend of mine.
“An
Old Friend Of Mine”-Joe Nichols
No comments:
Post a Comment