The slam of the thick steel door echoed
loudly behind me at the Hardin County Detention Center. I was free. Well,
physically that is. The world I stepped into had not freed from me the debt I
owed. Basically, I had been freed from physical captivity, but the prison in my
mind was a maximum security facility. Nothing and no one was getting out from
that place. I walked down the hallway and into the foyer. As I began to draw
out what money I had left from the ATM, I heard a familiar voice behind me. I
turned around and there was Momma. I hugged her tighter than I had in a long
time. I just remember telling her I was sorry. I didn’t know what else to say.
When we left the jail and started
down the road, the decision was made to try to go by the tow yard and see if I
could at least get my personal items out of my truck. Upon our arrival, I was
notified of a nifty little Kentucky law requiring the registered owner of the
vehicle to show up in person to authorize entry into the vehicle. The truck was
not in my name. It was in my Ex’s name and I wasn’t sure she was ever going to
come. I knew it was just stuff, but it was all I had. The trip up was only
supposed to be a quick visit that I had turned into a staycation. Inside that
truck, I had my clothes, a suitcase, CB radio, CD Collection, a Black Powder
Rifle, and other odds and ends. Looking back, I’m grateful I chose to keep my
Trooper School ring on when I was arrested by the KSP 10 days earlier. Long
story short, I never saw that truck or any of my personal items again.
Within a few hours of getting back
to my Mother’s apartment, I was contacted by a couple of people asking if I was
okay. That was a strong word looking back and a pretty vague descriptive word.
All I wanted to know was if I got to go home or had that bridge burned? It wasn’t long before I spoke with a friend
that passed along the news that I was afraid of. In third party format, I was
told that I didn’t have a home to go back to. This friend said that he had
spoken to my ex and that indeed she was finished with me. True to the cycle of
insanity, I returned to what “worked”. All I could process was how I could get absolutely
obliterated. After 3 DUI’s, 11 total nights in jail, seeing my career, my
marriage, my life, my dreams, burn to ground because of my drinking and the
consequences of my poor decision making while out there drinking, I still just
wanted to pick up another bottle.
Within a few minutes, I had a cold
beer popped open and I was on my way again. I do remember not slugging down
bottles one after the other. I knew I was going to speak to my ex that evening
and I didn’t want her to think I was drinking. So, part of me wanted to try to
put on the same show that hadn’t been working and part of me said “screw it” at
that very moment in order to dull and numb the pain. That evening, she called.
The confirmation came. The truth. The consequences. The exile status.
“I can’t be married to you right
now.” I remember those words clearly. They were followed by “God’s got me. He’s
gonna take of me.” As if God wasn't going to do that for me. Then again, I didn't feel worthy of being taken care of either. During the course of the conversation, I learned that I truly
didn’t have a home to go back to. All of my stuff was in a storage building,
locked up. My ex was with her Mom and she wasn’t coming. She had finally drawn
her line. I do remember her making reference to the fact that I had a “new
problem.” Her family now knew of the choices I was making. All I could muster
up when that statement was made was “I’m not a monster.” There was a hesitation
in her voice, followed by “Well….”
Thing is, as much as I wanted to
pretend I didn’t, I believed it too. I want to be clear about something here so
there is no misconception in some of the statements I just made. I know and I
do believe today, that as Christians, we are called to forgive others just as
Christ forgave us for our Sins before we even made them. That’s why he
sacrificed himself as God’s son. I do not believe however that God calls us to
continue to place ourselves in the path of a destructive Tornado when we’ve
seen it’s damage before. What do you do if you receive notification of a Tornado
watch or evening a warning? You take cover, you use caution, you take every
measure necessary to protect yourself from the incoming damage. Truth is; I was
toxic, I was destructive and I had caused a lot of damage. My ex had every
right to back away. I know that today. But then, that’s not where my Alcoholic
thinking went. What I saw was different. I did blame myself. I did agree, but I
had no clue how to stop it.
I was stranded. Exiled. I had no
home, no job, no wife, no license, no truck, no stability and no one wanted me
around anymore. All I had was where I was and what I was wearing. Everything
else I knew, lay in Ashes. I had single handedly destroyed and burned
everything and everyone I had touched.
Many people would’ve chosen that
very moment to turn to help. Whether that be in patient or outpatient
treatment, a phone call to a pastor, a scream for help, anything. No, not me. I
didn’t deserve that. Here is where all the anger, all the pain, all the finger
pointing I had done to other’s in my life began to point back at me. All those
emotions and thoughts that were jumbled up in my mind began to backfire at me.
I was at fault for all this. I was responsible for the damage. I began to
become very angry at myself but God was working and he was about to start
getting extremely obvious in his messages to me. The other side of the argument
for me was control. Even after the events unfolded like they did, I wanted to
keep trying to control what was happening in my life. I was just grasping at
straws in retrospect.
I continued to drink. The pain was
intense and I didn’t want to feel it or face it. It was obvious I was stuck at
Mom’s for a while at least. So, I continued to do what worked. I say that
lightly. For the next few days, I hung out with Mom, drank and I tried to make
sense of what I had done. My mind floated back to the statement Colonel
McDonough had made to me at GSP HQ a couple weeks prior. “Sometimes God
Whispers and Sometimes God Yells.” God had yelled at me loudly, multiple times,
and in different ways. I hadn’t listened and then had stopped the show. I felt
so stupid, so low, kind of like garbage that had taken itself out.
I grew up in Church and received Christ
into my heart at an early age. My belief in the Lord never waivered but until
now, I never allowed him to run the show. I didn’t think that was his job I
suppose. I knew though, that I needed to be somewhere in Church that following
Sunday morning. I had passed a larger church pretty close to Mom’s place while
riding into town with a friend of hers a couple days after leaving the jail. I
chose to try it out Sunday Morning. It was Severns Valley Baptist Church. From
the outside, the size reminded me of where I had been going in Milledgeville.
Inviting, but big enough that maybe no one would see the baggage I was walking
in with.
Meanwhile, I made contact with my
attorney’s in Georgia to see where they stood with me. I expected them to drop me
because I taken their kindness and threw into the burning pit with everyone
else. To my surprise, they didn’t. I am still so grateful for the Walker Firm
today. I made an appointment in an agency called KAPS. They are an agency that
monitors those sentenced with probation and court ordered treatment. I wasn’t
on probation yet, but part of my sentencing was to attend the DUI Victim’s
Impact Panel and also complete the 20 Hour DUI Risk Reduction Course. I went to
that meeting and got set up. I didn’t know how long I was going to be in
Kentucky, but I at least had to set it up. KAPS told me about an option for the
20 Hour course that was just around the corner on the downtown ETown Square. They
were Hub City Services. I will never forget walking through that door for the
first time.
I walked in, signed my name and sat
down. I could not believe that I was having to sign up for a DUI Risk Reduction
Course. Just a month prior I was arresting drunk drivers for a living. It was
then I met Mrs. Laura. Mrs. Laura and her family own the business there and
they’ve been providing treatment services there for quite some time. I sat down
in front of her and began the intake process. I told her about my story, all
the way down to how my Mamaw had washed my wallet. I mentioned how the Georgia
State Seal had been washed away and how my Georgia ID had been disintegrated.
She looked at me and said “Tyler, someone’s trying to give you a fresh start.” I
knew she was right, even then. But I didn’t want a fresh start. I wanted to go
home. I wanted to be wanted by the people I already knew. I wanted to return to
life as I knew it. But that wasn’t going to happen. The staff at hub city will
always have a special place in my heart. Their kindness, especially over the
course of the first couple of months in Etown was the first example of God
beginning to surround me with people that knew how to love me when I didn’t’
know how to love myself. I completed the intake process, evaluation and got
scheduled for those classes as well as several group sessions they wanted me to
take. I was actually honest in my eval and the counselor saw fit that I needed
more than just the risk reduction course point me in the right direction. She
too, was right.
That next Sunday Morning, I stayed
true to my intention to go to Church. I knew I needed to be there. At that
time, God was the only one that could intercede in what was happening in my
life even though I wasn’t ready to give up the control I thought I had. When I
walked in, I was welcomed by a greeter and given a visitor’s packet. I took a
seat in the large auditorium in a mostly empty row of chairs. It really did
have the same feel I was used to. I opened the visitors packet and there, in
the very front of the packet was a flier for a program called “Celebrate
Recovery.” I read the flier and I knew immediately that there was a reason that
God had brought me to that specific church that morning. The flier mentioned
that the program was a national program that focused around Christ Centered
Recovery for everyone dealing with life hurts, hang ups and habits.” I had
never heard of this program before, but I instantaneously knew I was supposed
to go the next night. I sat through the sermon, (I can still tell ya what it
was about). At the end of the service,
as I prepared to leave, a lady who I’m sure I wouldn’t recognize today tapped
me on the shoulder. I was dismayed when she asked me “are you new? I’ve never
seen you before.” I was in a room with 300 other people. My vistors packet wasn’t
visible, how did she know? We spoke briefly and parted ways. Before I left, I
made the decision to catch the Pastor before I left. Pastor Bill was very kind,
listened to me story, prayed with me and hooked me up with one of the leaders
for Celebrate Recovery. Today, I know that morning was a divine appointment set
for me by God. It became a lot more obvious as time went on, but that one
morning, that one decision to go to Severns Valley, set so many other events in
motion. There is a reason I don’t believe in coincidence anymore.
The next night, I took a taxi back
to Severns Valley. I do remember feeling nervous walking in there. I knew there
was a strong likelihood that I would have to share what I was going through. I wasn’t
sure if I could do that. I was so ashamed. So angry at myself. Again, I was met
with love and open arms. I went through worship and went to the newcomers
course. This was the first time I had ever heard the term Recovery and what it
meant. Growing up with an addict Mother along with working a ton of DUI
Enforcement as a Trooper, I had never seen or heard this side of the things.
The subject matter made sense and clicked with me. After that night, I was
clear to pick one of the small groups to begin attending after the first hour
of worship and testimony time. I do recall being excited to get back to CR the
next week. One of the groups to choose from was Alcohol and Substance abuse. Even
at this point, I was too afraid to step into that room and deal with my choices
regarding Alcohol head on. Instead I chose an easier, softer group known as the
hurts, habits and hang ups group. As I began attending CR week after week, I
was surrounded with people that did learn some of the harder parts of my story.
They loved me, cared for me, and began to support me. Again, It was God
surrounding me with people who knew how to love me when I didn’t know how to
love myself. In my small group, I was able to talk about what I was going
through but I was only cheating myself. I wasn’t truly addressing the Alcohol.
It was a sub topic under everything else. I couldn’t accept the fact that if I
wanted to clear up all the other decisions, dealing with the Alcohol, had to
come first. I wasn’t ready to admit I was an Alcoholic yet, but it was coming.
Days turned into weeks, weeks
turned in to a month. Even though I was going to church on Sundays and CR on
Monday nights, I was still drinking. I had way too much idle time in isolation
for own good. Then again, that’s what I always strived for. I had finally
gotten my wish. Everyone was finally leaving me alone so I could drink. That
bedroom at my Mother’s became my own person mental prison cell. Night after
night, I would drink till I passed out or cried myself to sleep. Instead of focusing
on how to better my life, I fix what was broken, I concentrated on how terrible
of a person I was. This is a common theme among most active Alcoholics. My ex stayed true to her word. She did try to
talk with me for a while after I ended up in Etown but eventually she drew the
line when she realized I wasn’t going to be honest about my mistakes. I was
still too afraid of the consequences of the truth. How much worse could it get?
I noticed that across social media, several people that were close to me began
talking negative about me in a pretty open manner. Occasionally I would post a
bible verse that hit me pretty hard. That was met with accusations of what a hypocrite
I was. I wound up removing a lot of people from my friends list that either
talked about me, ignored me at that point or I spoken to in quite a while. Even
doing that, I remember feeling that they were right. Who was I to post anything
biblical. My life was anything but biblical. Maybe it was better I just stayed
silent.
I completed the DUI Risk Reduction
Course in late September/ early October along with the group sessions. I
enjoyed those. I know it sounds strange, but the information was solid, plus
those groups gave me somewhere to be and to be busy. I walked into downtown
Etown from where Mom lived on many occasions. The exercise was good and it gave
me time to process and pray. I met several people that were on similar roads as
I. Some of those folks were multiple DUI or Alcohol related offenders too. On
that first 2 mile walk into town, I remember hearing a song come on I-Heart
Radio. I had never heard it before but I knew it was God talking to me when I
heard it.
You brought me this far
So why would I question you now
You have provided so why would I start to doubt
I've never been stranded, abandoned or left here to fight alone
So I'm giving you control
So why would I question you now
You have provided so why would I start to doubt
I've never been stranded, abandoned or left here to fight alone
So I'm giving you control
I lift my life, lift my
life up
I give it all in surrender
I lift my heart, lift my heart up
You can have it forever
All my dreams, all my plans
Lord I leave it in your hands
I lift my life, lift my life up
I give it all in surrender
I lift my heart, lift my heart up
You can have it forever
All my dreams, all my plans
Lord I leave it in your hands
I lift my life, lift my life up
Have your way in me
Unspoken-Lift My Life Up
I
knew those words for me. Come to find out, the lead singer is a Recovering
Addict. They’ve got several songs that I was able to identify with.
Even
though I was hearing God speak to me. I knew he was setting me up to meet
people, be places, feel truly loved, I couldn’t stop drinking. I couldn’t stop
trying to numb the pain. I couldn’t stop wishing I could just erase so many
things and go home. A lot of that cycle continued on for a while.
On
one of the visits to Hub City for a session, one of the counselors pulled me aside
and asked me if I had ever considered going to AA? The question caught me off
guard. Truthfully the answer was yes. I could recall sitting on my couch,
drunk, in the middle of the night, at least a year prior, knowing I had a
problem. I can remember looking up AA meetings in Milledgeville, knowing I needed
to talk to someone, but not being able to move past my fear, pride and control
to go. She offered to get me the name of someone to look to, location of the
meeting and time. I accepted the information and decided to go. I knew it was
going to be hard, but I knew it was time. It was past time. I should’ve already
been in those rooms. I didn’t truly what it meant to be an Alcoholic. But, I
wasn’t going to lose anything at this point. That night, I got back to Momma’s
and told her about the information I had gotten. To my surprise, she offered to
go with me. She was familiar with the place and the people from her own
journey. The meeting was scheduled for the next Wednesday night.
It
was an unforgettable feeling walking into my first real meeting. I was going to
CR but this was addressing specifically Alcohol. Several people recognized
Momma and welcomed her back. Even I knew it had been a long time since she had
been there. I guess I expected sadness and a lot of depression in a lot of
these meetings. Sure, there was some of that but these people were happy,
laughing, joking. I was unexpected. Just before the meeting started, Mom and I
walked in and sat down. Momma had always been my biggest supporter, even when I
was wrong. I never imagined being in a recovery meeting with her in this
fashion. The meeting started and it wasn’t just a few minutes before I began
hearing some familiar scenarios I could relate to. I listened, and it
eventually came my turn to share. As I began to speak, I know my voice cracked.
The lump in my throat seemed impassable. “Hi my name is Tyler and I am an
Alcoholic.”
They
were the words I never thought I’d utter, but they were out. Years worth of denial no longer an option.I remember I
shared some of my story and I kept using the words “lose” or “lost”. I was
heartbroken and angry at myself. I’m sure that came across clearly. One of the
old timers spoke up and said, “Man, you gotta quit saying you “lost” anything. You
didn’t “lose” anything, you “gave it away.” That was deep. It was probably the
first time I heard a statement that drastically altered my perception of where
I was in life. He was right. That night became the first of a lot of meetings,
a massive intake of information and the continuation of God surrounding me with
People that knew how to love me when I didn’t know how to love myself and even
when I didn’t think I deserved any love, from anybody.
I’ll
share more in “Revelation”
Well I ain't
had nothin' to drink
I knew that's probably what you'd think
If I'd drop by this time of night
Remember way back when
I promised you I'd drop in
At one of those meetings down at the "Y"
They started talking' about steps you take
Mistakes you make the hearts you break
And the price you pay
I almost walked away
I knew that's probably what you'd think
If I'd drop by this time of night
Remember way back when
I promised you I'd drop in
At one of those meetings down at the "Y"
They started talking' about steps you take
Mistakes you make the hearts you break
And the price you pay
I almost walked away
You could hear
a pin drop
When this old man
Stood up and said I'm gonna say it again
Like I do every week
For those who don't know me
It's the simple things in life
Like the kids at home and a loving' wife
That you miss the most, when you lose control
And everything you love starts to disappear
The devil takes your hand and says no fear
Have another shot, just one more beer
Yeah I've been there
That's why I'm here
This
old boy stood up in the isle
Said he'd been living' a life of denial
Then he cried, as he talked about wasted years
I couldn't believe what I heard
It was my life word for word
And all of the sudden, it was clear
I know for us it may be too late
But it would mean the world to me
If you were there when I stand to say
When this old man
Stood up and said I'm gonna say it again
Like I do every week
For those who don't know me
It's the simple things in life
Like the kids at home and a loving' wife
That you miss the most, when you lose control
And everything you love starts to disappear
The devil takes your hand and says no fear
Have another shot, just one more beer
Yeah I've been there
That's why I'm here
Said he'd been living' a life of denial
Then he cried, as he talked about wasted years
I couldn't believe what I heard
It was my life word for word
And all of the sudden, it was clear
I know for us it may be too late
But it would mean the world to me
If you were there when I stand to say
It's
the simple things in life
Like the kids at home and a loving' wife
That you miss the most, when you lose control
And everything you love starts to disappear
The devil takes your hand and says no fear
Have another shot, just one more beer
Yeah I've been there
That's why I'm here
Like the kids at home and a loving' wife
That you miss the most, when you lose control
And everything you love starts to disappear
The devil takes your hand and says no fear
Have another shot, just one more beer
Yeah I've been there
That's why I'm here
“That’s
Why I’m Here”- Kenny Chesney
No comments:
Post a Comment